Sichuan Mala Grilled Fish
Serves 2 | Preparation Time: 45 mins
- 3 tbsp Knife Spicy Sesame Oil
- 500g seabass, cut into butterfly
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 1 spring onion, use the green part
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Knife 100% Pure Groundnut Oil
- 2 tsp Knife Thai Fish Sauce
- 15 dried chilli
- 20g young ginger, cut into strip
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 4 green chilli, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 packet mala hotpot sauce
- 1.2L water
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 potatoes, skin removed and thinly slice
- 200g enoki mushroom, stems cut out and rinsed
- 80g soybean sprouts, rinsed
- 100g fresh black fungus, rinsed
- 100g sweet potato vermicelli, cook in boiling water for 4 mins until the noodle soften
- Roasted Peanut
Step 1: Prepare the fish
- Place the fish marinade (exclude the seabass and spicy sesame oil) in a bowl. Squeeze out any juice on the spring onion and ginger. Set aside.
- Slit the fish on both sides and place it on a plate.
- Rub the marinade on the fish and set aside for 15 mins.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°C.
- Remove all the ingredients and pat the fish dry. Brush Knife Spicy Sesame Oil all over the fish.
- Bake it at 200°C for 10 mins.
- Once the time is up, apply another layer of Knife Spicy Sesame Oil and let it grill at 230°C for another 10 mins or until the fish skin looks crispy and slightly golden brown.
Step 2: Cook the soup base
- Using a scissors, cut the dried chilli into a container. Cover it up and give it a good shake to remove the seeds. Thereafter, place dried chilli in a bowl of water to rehydrate them.
- Add Knife Groundnut Oil into a heated pan. Fry ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in Sichuan peppercorns, rehydrated chilli and green chilli, fry till fragrant.
- Add in the mala sauce and fry evenly.
- Add in water, sugar, chicken stock powder and Knife Thai Fish Sauce. Let it boil for 10 mins. Adjust to taste.
Step 3: Assemble and Serve
- On a rectangle serving plate, lay potatoes, enoki mushroom, soybean sprouts, black fungus and sweet potato noodle to form a bed for the fish.
- Place the fish on it.
- Pour the soup over, stew for 5 mins and ready to serve with peanut and coriander.