Ayam Buah Keluak
Serves: 2 | Preparation Time: 2 hours
- 10 Buah keluak nuts, soaked for 3 – 4 days (Scrub the shell and change water daily.
- 50 gm Prawn meat, minced
- 1 Egg white
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 600 gm Chicken, preferably thigh and drumstick
- 3 tbsp Knife Groundnut Oil
- 150 gm Rempah kuning
- 3 Lemongrass, bruised
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 cup Water, as needed
- 60 ml Tamarind juice, strained
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Break open shell of buah keluak nuts at the lip and extract the content (pulp). Set 2 tbsp pulp aside for later use. Set aside the emptied shell.
Optional: Season the buah keluak pulp with sugar, salt and pepper. Add water as needed and pulverise the pulp with food processor till silky and oily paste textual. Strain the pulp by pressing the thick paste through a fine-wired sieve to remove any shell or unpulverized bits.
- Add in the prawns, egg white, sugar and salt to the pulp, mix well. Stuff around 2 tsp of the mixture back into each shell, pressing down firmly.
- Heat Knife Groundnut Oil and sauté rempah kuning, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, 2 tbsp of buah keluak pulp and chicken until each piece is well coated with rempah. Add in tamarind juice and enough water to cover all the pieces of chicken. Add sugar and salt.
- Stir and bring to a boil before lowering to a gentle simmer and add the stuffed nuts. Let it simmer for 30 mins or until the chicken parts are nicely cook. Check the seasoning and adjust with more salt if necessary.
Tips: Gravy can be thicker by adding less water. Cook overnight for more flavour to develop.
Recipe is courtesy of Allspice Institute.
Any unauthorised copying, distribution and production is strictly prohibited.