Singapore Chilli Crab
Serves: 2 | Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 nos. Mud crab, 800 gm each, washed and cleaned
- 2 stalks Chinese parsley (garnishing)
- 2 stalks Spring onions (garnishing)
- 60 ml Knife Rice Bran Oil
- 2 tsp Knife Salted Soy Bean
- 5 nos. Shallots, peeled
- 6 nos. Fresh red chillies
- 8 nos. Garlic, peeled
- 5 nos. Fresh red chilli padis
- 2 tbsp Ginger, chopped
- 3 nos. Candle nuts
- 5 tbsp Knife Rice Bran Oil
- 6 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 300 ml Water, more if necessary
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Ikan bilis seasoning, optional
- 2 nos. Eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp Corn starch
- Chop the cleaned crab into quarters or sixths, depending how large the crab is. Crack the claws of the crab for easy eating.
- Blend the chilli paste ingredients till it becomes a fine paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp of Knife Rice Bran Oil in a wok and fry blended paste until fragrant. Add in the crabs, stir well.
- Add tomato ketchup, water, sugar and ikan bilis seasoning. Stir well and cover the wok to let the crab cook till the shells turn bright red.
- Pour beaten eggs into the sauce, gently mix well. Add corn starch. Simmer for another 15 seconds.
- Dish up the pieces of crab and then top with the big shell, drizzle all the sauces on it. Garnish with Chinese parsley and spring onions. Serve with hot, deep fried mantous.
Mantous (馒头) can be bought from the supermarket frozen section. Thawed and deep-fry with enough oil until the mantous turn golden colour.
To wash and clean crab: Remove crab’s top shell after washing. Remove the gills. Cut across the front of the crab with scissors to remove the face.
Recipe is courtesy of Allspice Institute.
Any unauthorised copying, distribution and production is strictly prohibited.